School Focused Youth Service (SFYS) is a statewide initiative of the Department of Education and Early Childhood Development and works collaboratively with the Catholic Education Office and Independent Schools. The Manningham SFYS program is delivered in partnership with Boroondara Council. It is supported through a local advisory group.
SFYS aims to assist schools and community agencies to develop partnerships and enhance existing relationships which support young people who are at risk.
Children and young people aged 10-18 years, the program aims to reach "at risk" young people that are vulnerable to and affected by a range of factors likely to impede their successful transition to a fulfilling adult life.
Key Features of SFYS
In its efforts to develop coordinated and integrated service responses a core component of SFYS work is in strengthening links between schools and community agencies. This work includes researching and understanding the needs of local young people, provision of information about service availability, identifying service gaps, developing strategies to respond to gaps and service provision.
In 2014 the Boroondara and Manningham SFYS will focus on:
- Facilitating and supporting local networks
- Providing Individual support to vulnerable young people
- Providing secondary consultation to assist schools to link vulnerable young people to local service providers
- Providing programs addressing local need including a Martial Arts Therapy Program
- Developing a regional website of youth services
- Providing short term clinical support to address school refusal and mental health concerns in young people
Student Wellbeing Co-ordinators Network
This network is for school staff across Boroondara and Manningham who work in a student support role. It consists of psychologists, SSS staff, chaplains, area coordinators, assistant principals etc. It provides collegiate support and training on local issues.
For more information on the Boroondara and Manningham SFYS program please call the Maroondah/Manningham School Focused Youth Services Co-ordinator on 9840 9452.