North East Link
What is the North East Link?
The North East Link (NEL) is Victoria’s largest road project. The impacts of the NEL and Eastern Freeway expansion will be far reaching. The needs of our community and surrounding environment must be considered, before, during and after construction.
About the North East Link
The North East Link is a 26 kilometre roadway connecting the Metropolitan Ring Road at Greensborough with the Eastern Freeway at Bulleen. The $15.8 billion project is being delivered by the Victorian Government North East Link Project (NELP) Authority. Construction is expected to commence in 2020.
Since 2017, we've been fighting hard to protect our community and environment.
- A detailed legal submission will be presented at the Inquiry and Advisory Committee (IAC) Panel Hearings, starting from 25 July 2019. The issues highlighted in Council’s Environment Effects Statement (EES) submission will be expanded on at the hearing.
- On 5 June, 2019 Council made a submission to the NEL (EES) on behalf of the community. View the Manningham City Council North East Link Environment Effects Statement Submission - 5 June 2019 (177.72 KB)
- In February 2019, Council endorsed the Yarra River Corridor Concept Plan. The plan presents a vision for the open space and recreational facilities along the NEL Corridor. This plan was presented to NELP and various State Government Departments.
- In May 2018, Council made a Public Environment Report (PER) submission to the Federal Environment Minister in relation to threatened species identified in NEL project area. View the Manningham Council Submission on the Public Environmental Report for the North East Link Project - 30 May 2019 (177.46 KB)
- On Wednesday 29 May, 2019 a community information session provided an overview of the NEL impacts and Council’s draft EES submission. Residents were assisted in preparing their own EES response. Download the Manningham NEL Community Information Session Presentation (1.48 MB) and view the livestream of the Manningham NEL community information.
- In June 2018, Council endorsed the North East Link Issues and Opportunities (5.75 MB). The report provides 19 recommendations to ensure the project minimises the impact and delivers a benefit to the community. This report was submitted to NELP to consider as part of the projects planning and design phase.
- On 10 April, 2019 the NELP authority released the EES documents for public exhibition. Council officers reviewed over 14,000 pages in order to prepare a concise submission on behalf of residents, businesses and the community.
- Throughout 2018, Council officers reviewed the preparation of the initial draft EES by participating in the Technical Reference Group. They actively met with community members, businesses and sporting groups to understand the community views and impacts of the project.
- In addition to meeting with NELP on a regular basis, Officers have participated in the Community Liaison Group and Bulleen Industrial Zone Liaison Group. Regular meetings and correspondence has been held with local, state and federal Members of Parliament.
- On 25 September, 2017 Council held a community information session to discuss the proposed 4 route options of the NEL.