The Victorian Government has introduced a simpler, and more consistent process now known as the Accessible Parking Permit (APP) scheme.
The new scheme and online system will streamline the application process across all councils in Victoria and better align with the Australian Disability Parking Permit Scheme.
Accessible Parking Permits are available for drivers or passengers with a disability and organisations that transport people with disabilities. Permits are now applied for through the VicRoads Victorian Accessible Parking Permit Scheme
You will need to apply through the new application process if you are:
- applying for a new Accessible Parking Permit
- renewing or replacing an existing permit.
Accessible Parking Permit Improvements
- Temporary permits will be available for 6, 12 or 24 month periods
- Permanent permits will be valid for five years rather than three years
- The introduction of a permanent disability classification, so functional assessments are not required for future permit renewals
- A new single and secure state-wide permit design that will reduce the misuse of permits
- The inclusion of occupational therapists as assessors, in addition to GPs
- Permits for organisations will continue to be available for 12 month period.
Types of Accessible Parking Permits
There are two types of permits available under the Accessible Parking Permit Scheme:
- Australian Disability Parking Permit – you can park in a disabled person parking bay or an ordinary parking bay for twice the time limit specified.
- Victorian Double Time Accessible Parking Permit – allows you to park in an ordinary parking bay for twice the time limit specified.
The decision to issue a permit and permit type is based on a GP or occupational therapist functional assessment.
I already have a permit do I need to do anything?
All existing permits will remain valid until their expiry date or until 30 June 2023 whichever date occurs first.
How to apply or renew your Accessible Parking Permit
You will need to provide the following documentation to collect your permit(s):
How to replace a damaged, lost or stolen Accessible Parking Permit
If your permit is lost, damaged or stolen, you can apply for a replacement online.
- Start your replacement application online at accessibleparking.vic.gov.au
- You’ll receive a replacement application reference number via SMS and email
- We will review and confirm the application
- If your application is successful, you can pick up your permit from the Council Civic Centre 699 Doncaster Road Doncaster.
When you pick up your permit you will need to bring supporting documentation:
- the damaged permit (if replacing)
- a statutory declaration for a lost permit
- a statutory declaration or a police report for a stolen permit.
If you need help with your application or have questions contact us