You must meet these legal requirements before you take over an existing food business:
- obtain consent from the current proprietor to enable us to conduct a pre-sale inspection
- request a pre-sale inspection to be carried out by us to ensure the business you are purchasing meets the Food Act and Food Standards Code 3.2.3.
- pay the required pre-sale inspection report fee
- complete and submit a copy of your Food Safety Program (class 1 and 2 premises only)
- nominate a qualified Food Safety Supervisor (class 1 and 2 premises only)
- sign and return the registration form with appropriate registration fee (we will be provide this to you)
Pre-Sale inspection consent form and fee
Download the application form Food Pre-sale Request Form (464.53 KB)and return it to the Environmental Health Unit, PO Box 1, Doncaster 3108. Please read Fees and charges (295.88 KB) for costs associated with all food business related services.
We must inspect the business before you can register as a new operator. A pre-sale inspection will normally be completed within 10 working days. If you require an inspection report within 5 working days an additional 50 percent fee will apply.
Registration process and fees
An application to register as a new operator and a registration invoice will be provided to you after the pre-sale inspection. You need to complete and return both forms if the sale of the business is to proceed.
The previous operator's registration will be cancelled and you must ensure you have been granted registration before operating the food business.
Please read Fees and charges (295.88 KB) for more information about the costs associated with registration.
Food safety programs and food safety supervisors (class 1 and 2 premises only)
For more information on taking over or selling your food business, please contact us on 9840 9333.