You must meet these legal requirements before you take over an existing food business:
- obtain consent from the current proprietor to enable us to conduct a pre-sale inspection
- request a pre-sale inspection to be carried out by us to ensure the business you are purchasing meets the Food Act and Food Standards Code 3.2.3.
- pay the required pre-sale inspection report fee
- complete and submit a copy of your Food Safety Program (class 1 and 2 premises only)
- nominate a qualified Food Safety Supervisor (class 1 and 2 premises only)
- sign and return the registration form with appropriate transfer of registration fee (we will be provide this to you)
Pre-Sale Inspection Consent Form and Fee
You can download the application form Food Pre-sale Request Form (434.1 KB)and return it to Environmental Health Unit, PO Box 1, Doncaster 3108 with the following pre-sale inspection fee:
Transfer inspection Fees
|Standard food businesses||$260|
|Food businesses > 20 full time employees||$310|
|Community group and Class 3 food businesses||$160|
We must inspect the business before you transfer the business to a new owner. A pre-sale inspection will normally be completed within 10 working days. If you require an inspection report within 3 days an additional 50 percent fee will apply.
Transfer of Registration Application and Fees
A Transfer of Registration application form will be provided to you after a transfer inspection has taken place.
A Transfer of Registration fee must be paid by the new proprietor to affect the transfer of registration to a new proprietor. This fee will depend on the class and nature of the food business proposed and will continue registration for the remainder of the year.
Food Safety Programs and Food Safety Supervisors (Class 1 and 2 premises only)
For more information on taking over or selling your food business, please contact us on 9840 9333.