What is a community learning centre?
Community learning centres, such as Neighbourhood Houses, encourage members of the community to participate in local activities, learning and education, and play an important part in strengthening local communities. There are five Neighbourhood Houses in Manningham, which Council supports through the provision of funding and facilities.
These five Neighbourhood Houses are managed by voluntary community-based committees of management, who are responsible for the overall operation of each centre. Neighbourhood Houses employ professionally trained staff and tutors as well as experienced volunteers.
What courses are included?
Courses at Neighbourhood Houses can include:
- Strength, fitness and wellbeing classes
- Yoga, Tai-Chi, Pilates
- Computer and technology courses
- Art, craft, music and language classes, including English classes
- Adult education courses
- Certificate courses
- VCAL (Victorian Certificate of Applied Learning)
- VET (Vocational Education and Training)
- Children's courses and playgroups
- Personal development, and
- Social and support groups.
Several centres also have a registered childcare centre.
Where are the centres?
The five Neighbourhood Houses are:
Living and Learning @ Ajani
284 Thompsons Road, Lower Templestowe 3107
Park Orchards Community House and Learning Centre Inc
572 Park Road, Park Orchards 3114
1/520 Blackburn Road, Doncaster East 3109
Warrandyte Neighbourhood House
Level 1, 168 Yarra Street, Warrandyte 3113
Wonga Park Community Cottage
Unit 1, 9-13 Old Yarra Road, Wonga Park 3115