Throughout the municipality, many individuals and organisations play an important role in the community and civic life in our city. The Civic Awards recognise individuals, businesses and/or organisations.
There are 5 categories for nominations:
Citizen of the Year Award
This award recognises the outstanding contribution made by a resident to improve the lives of others. The contribution can be in any area, demonstrating a long term commitment to community service, innovation, philanthropy or voluntary work.
Nominees must be a living person who resides in Manningham, and is a permanent resident over the age of 25 years.
Young Citizen of the Year Award
This award recognises the outstanding contribution made by a young resident through demonstration of leadership qualities, inspiring others through action or being a positive role model for others. The contribution can be in any area of endeavour.
Nominees must be a living person who resides in Manningham, and is a permanent resident under the age of 25 years.
Volunteer of the Year Award
This award recognises the outstanding voluntary contribution made by an individual to the Manningham community. It highlights the sustained contribution by the quiet achievers who often work behind the scenes to build a stronger and more caring society. The award nominee’s contribution can be in any area of community service, civic engagement, environment, sport, the arts, education, business or advocacy.
Nominees must be a permanent resident who volunteers in Manningham
Sportsperson of the Year Award
This award recognises individuals who demonstrate excellence in the sports arena and/or exemplary leadership on or off the field. The award will highlight those who inspire others, encourage participation and embody the principles of fair play. Nominations will be accepted for active participants, including coaches, referees/umpires, organisers and officials.
Nominees must be a permanent resident who participates in the sporting area in Manningham.
Community Achievement Award
This award recognises community organisations, clubs or groups who have gone ‘above and beyond’ to improve the lives of others in the Manningham community. Not for profit community organisations can showcase how their work has made a difference across the community to promote values such as diversity, acceptance and tolerance and has generated community spirit, greater engagement and social connectedness.
Not for profit community organisations must have a physical presence in Manningham and be of benefit to local residents.
Nomination Criteria and Guidelines
- Award recipients will be nominated by others - self-nominations are not accepted, with an exception for Community Achievement Award nominations.
- Councillors, Council employees, State and Federal politicians are not eligible for nomination but are encouraged to nominate others.
- Award winners should be willing to share their achievements in the year following their win to promote civic values and to reflect positively on the principles of the Manningham Civic Awards. This may involve speaking publically and having their photos taken and displayed.
- The award will generally recognise voluntary effort. If the achievement is in a paid capacity, the nomination should note how the nominee has contributed over and above their paid role.
- All nominees will be acknowledged at the Civic Awards Gala on 23 May 2018.
How to make a nomination
Nominations open on 1 December 2017. When you make a nomination, please make sure you:
- read the Nomination Criteria and Guidelines above
- indicate in what category you would like to nominate the person
- explain the background and reasons for the nomination
- applications should include additional information if available, such as newspaper or magazine articles, awards, etc
- if possible include a photo of the person you are nominating.
Nominations can be made online or via mail.
- submit your nomination online or
- download Civic Awards Nomination Form (196.89 KB) and return via free post Reply Paid 1, Doncaster 3108
- download Civic Awards Criteria (53.82 KB)
Nomination submissions close 4.00 pm on 28 March.