Manningham Inclusive E-newsletter
Do you want to know about inclusive activities and opportunities happening in Manningham?
Subscribe to our monthly e-newsletter, Manningham Inclusive.
Get up to date information on workshops, classes, council projects, opportunities and important disability news.
You can also send in information to share with the community. Contact us before the 20th of each month.
Do you need Manningham Inclusive in another format?
If you need Manningham Inclusive in another format, please let us know. We'll make sure to get a copy to you in a format that you prefer.
Manningham Disability Advisory Committee
The role of the Disability Advisory Committee (DAC) is to provide Council with direct access to a group of people who have a diverse understanding of living with a disability in Manningham. The Committee is a group of dedicated people who are advocates for increasing disability inclusion in Manningham
The DAC will provide advice to Council on how to understand and respond to the needs of people with disability. This advice will inform Council policies and practices.
The DAC appointments were announced in February 2021 and the committee had its first meeting on 31 March 2021.
Who are the Disability Advisory Committee?
Ten DAC members have a lived experience of disability, including ADHD, autism, mental health issues, intellectual disability, physical disability, deafness and low vision. One is a support person and three are carer-parents of people with disability. Members represent students, workers, full time parents, unemployed people and volunteers.
The DAC will strengthen the voice of people with disability, build their capacity, and support the community to be accessible and inclusive for all Manningham residents.
In particular the DAC will:
- Build the capacity of Council to understand and respond to the needs of people with disability and their carers by providing an authentic voice of people with lived experience of disability.
- Develop the capabilities of Committee members, through an understanding of the environment and processes of local government, so that they can contribute constructively as well as support their employment, education and civic engagement aspirations.
- Honour Council’s commitment to key Council policies and strategies including the Council Plan and Healthy City Strategy.
- Advise on the development and review of key Council strategies, policies and plans.
- Assist Council to meet its legislative requirements as it relates to inclusion of people with disability.
Building Equitable Employment Network
Manningham holds the Building Equitable Employment Network meetings in collaboration with Knox Council.
It is a network of people and organisations who share information, opportunities, and collaborate to increase authentic employment opportunities for people with disability. Contact us for more information.
International Day of People with a Disability
International Day of People with a Disability (IDPwD) is held on 3 December each year.
IDPwD is a United Nations sanctioned day that is celebrated internationally. It aims to increase public awareness, understanding and acceptance of people with a disability and celebrate their achievements and contributions.
The Social Planning and Community Development team work across council departments, and with Manningham’s libraries and leisure centres to strengthen inclusion of all Manningham residents.
Contributions from those who are interested in disability services and initiatives within Manningham are welcome. Manningham community members who have a disability are also invited to share their experiences to better inform Council policy and practice.