Declared Dogs

Dangerous, Menacing and Restricted Breed dogs have certain restrictions imposed on them.

Dangerous Dogs

If a dog attacks a person or animal causing serious injury, it can be declared dangerous by Council. It can be declared dangerous if it is trained, or being trained, for attack or guard dog purposes, or has previously been declared dangerous by another council.

Find out more information from the DEPI Dangerous Dogs FAQ.

Menacing Dogs

If a dog rushes at or chases a person, or if a dog has been declared a menacing  by another Council, we may declare the dog to be menacing.

Find out more information about owning a Menacing Dog.

Restricted Breed Dogs

The following dog breeds are considered restricted:

  • American Pit Bull Terrier/Pit Bull Terrier
  • Dogo Argentino
  • Fila Brasileiro
  • Japanese Tosa
  • Perro de Presa Canario

Find out more information about Restricted Dog Breeds.

Councils must record all dogs declared Dangerous, Menacing and Restricted Breeds with the Victorian Declared Dog Registry. This registry holds the information of the dog’s owner, the dog's microchip number, a description of the dog and the location where the dog is kept.

Dog Activity Centre

The Dog Activity Centre (DAC) is located in Aranga Reserve, Donvale. Melway Ref 48 F5.

Aranga Reserve is a shared recreational reserve that incorporates a fenced general dog activity park, a separate dog training area and static agility equipment.

The dog activity park provides opportunities for casual, unstructured socialisation and training by pet owners and their families.

The park is for everyone to enjoy and it is important off lead etiquette is respected.

Friends of Manningham Dogs And Cats (FOMDAC), a grass roots community organisation with a focus on representing Manningham’s pets and their owners meets regularly at the clubhouse located at the DAC.

FOMDAC is actively seeking members to represent pet owners. Find out more information about FOMDAC.

Dog litter

Dog owners must remove and dispose of dog droppings in public places and carry a bag that is suitable to pick up dog litter when walking their dog.

Dog litter bags can be placed in Council’s public litter bins or in your household garbage bin.

Council can provide registered dog owners with poo pouches to assist in the collection of their dogs litter. The poo pouch is a small bag that can fit approximately 10 plastic bags and attaches to your dog’s lead. If you would like one, call Council on 9840 9333.  

Owners who do not pick up after their dog or who do not carry a bag when walking their pet in a public place face fines of $200.

Find out more information about regulations on Dog Litter.

Dog Off Lead Reserves

Walking your dog is an integral part of being a responsible pet owner. Dogs are permitted off lead in designated areas providing the dog is kept under effective control at all times.

Dogs must be on lead within 15 metres of; permanent barbecue facilities, children's play equipment, organised sporting events, approved functions or public meetings.

Find out where your nearest off lead park is in Parks and Playspaces.

Barking Dogs

Barking dogs can become a nuisance and create conflict between neighbours and if dog barks excessively and unreasonably your neighbour can make a complaint to Council.

It is recommended you consider obedience and socialisation training for your dog, so you can better understand their needs. We also recommend you consult your veterinarian to establish if the barking may be caused by a medical condition.

The following tips may also assist in reducing your dogs barking:

  • Walk your dog daily
  • Alter feeding times
  • Provide toys at different intervals in an attempt to alleviate any boredom
  • Do not let the dog inside or give it attention when it barks.
  • If your dog is barking at people or noises on the other side of a fence, move the dog to another part of the yard, or put up a barrier to keep the dog away from that area.
  • If your dog barks at regular disturbances such as children walking to school or rubbish trucks, keep the dog inside or in an enclosed area at these times.
  • Make sure that your dog has food, water and shelter from the weather.
  • If your dog is barking at gaps and cracks in the fence, fill them in.
  • Teach your dog to stop barking on command. When the dog is barking give a firm command such as 'cease' and call the dog to you. Praise the dog when it stops barking. 

Dog trainers operating in Manningham that may be able to further assist are:

Dog and Cat Desexing

Thousands of healthy cats and dogs are euthanased each year in Victoria, so you own a pet and do not intend to breed from it, have it desexed. The problem is more prevalent in cats as they are able breed from as young as four months of age.

Desexing Scheme

People who hold any of the following Federal Government Social Security cards are eligible to receive a discount in the cost of desexing dogs and cats:

  • Pensioner Health Benefits Card
  • Health Benefit Card
  • Health Care Card

How to Apply

Desexing vouchers are available from Council. The top half of the voucher is to be completed at Council and the bottom section will be completed by your vet.

Find out more information about desexing your pets or call Council's Health and Local Laws team on 9840 9333 or use our online service request form.