To support our local hospitality businesses on the road to recovery from COVID-19 we’re making it possible for eligible traders to start or expand their outdoor dining footprint to maximise the number of customers who can dine-in.
Hospitality businesses will be able to apply for an extension to their Footpath Trading permit to provide additional space for table service on Council footpaths until 31 July 2021.
If you wish to speak with a business liaison officer please request a call back and we can assist in your application or answer any other questions.
On this page
The following businesses can apply for a temporary extension of their Footpath Trading permit:
- Local hospitality businesses that have an existing Footpath Trading Permit can apply for a temporary extension to their current permit so they can expand their outdoor dining service beyond their area in front of your premises.
- Local hospitality businesses who don’t have a current permit and wish to apply for an area larger than the trading area in front of their property will need to complete the extended permit as above. If the area required for outdoor dining is only in front of your business, a general footpath trading permit is only required.
- Ensure you have read our Footpath Trading Guidelines (851.1 KB)
- Check your public liability insurance has a minimum of $5 million coverage and the policy includes outdoor dining. Manningham Council must be listed as an interested party on your certificate of currency. Also check with your insurer that your insurance will cover any area you are wanting to expand your outdoor dining space into.
- Obtain a site plan or a full colour photograph showing the entire area of the footpath you wish to utilise.
- Speak to your neighbouring business owner/manager to obtain a letter of support. Templates can be found in the Footpath trading permit application form (177.35 KB)
- Make sure your business have has a COVID Safe Plan
- Apply for an extension to your Footpath Trading Permit
- If your business is experiencing genuine financial hardship, complete the financial hardship relief form to apply for a futher reduction in your business related permit fees.
The extension to your Footpath Trading permit is free for businesses who have an existing footpath trading permit. If you’re applying for a footpath trading permit for the first time we’re currently offering a 50% discount on the annual registration fee and then, if you are applying for an extension, there is no additional charge.
The Victorian Government’s Outdoor Eating and Entertainment Package offers grants of $5,000 to licensed and unlicensed hospitality businesses to cover equipment purchase or hire as well as training and advertising costs to help expand outdoor operations.
If your business is experiencing genuine financial hardship as a result of COVID-19 you can apply for a further reduction in your business related permit fees. Please complete the financial hardship relief form which will be assessed alongside any permit applications.
What will this permit allow me to do?
The Temporary Extension of Footpath Trading permit will allow hospitality businesses to:
- use the footpath areas directly in front of the business
- expand onto neighbouring business' footpath area (provided there is written support)
- occupy on-street car parking space immediately in front of the business (subject to approval)
- partner with neighbouring businesses to occupy sections of on-street car parking or localised street space (subject to approval)
Can I apply for extension to my Footpath Trading permit if I already have a footpath trading permit?
Yes, the extension is for businesses that have existing footpath trading permits. The temporary extension allows the operation of the table service beyond the area in front of your premises.
What if I don‘t have a current permit?
If you don’t have a current permit and wish to apply for an area larger than the trading area in front of your property you will need to complete the extended permit as above. If the area is only in front of your business a general footpath trading permit is only required. In both these instances a fee applies, currently discounted by 50%. You can apply for a further reduction in your business related permit fees if you are experiencing genuine financial hardship.
What if I can't use any footpath, car space or nearby laneway?
We are exploring opportunities for safe communal outdoor seated areas in some of our activity centres. Take-away dining options from local businesses will be allowed to be consumed in these areas, however these communal spaces will be alcohol and smoke free areas.
Can I serve alcohol as part of my outdoor or extended outdoor dining service?
You can apply for a Temporary Limited Liquor Licence from the Victorian Commission for Gambling and Liquor Regulation.
There is no fee associated with applying for an outdoor area temporary licence in relation to a public outdoor area however if your outdoor area is outside of the red-line plan in your existing permanent licence, or if the land is privately owned, different considerations may need to be made.
Visit the Victorian Commission for Gambling and Liquor Regulation for more information and to apply.
Do I need to apply for a planning permit if I want to extend my footpath trading area to an area greater than 6m2?
No, the extended Footpath Trading permit temporarily replaces the need for a planning permit in this instance.
How are you supporting other retailers?
- Separate plans to reactivate our shopping centres are underway and will be communicated as soon as possible.
- Since COVID-19 began to impact our business community, we’ve launched our Community Relief Package to support our businesses, including reduced permits, dedicated Business Liaison Officers, free business mentoring and business development program.
- Our Businesses Liaison team has been established to support businesses throughout COVID-19 restrictions and as we reopen Manningham. If you need support or assistance please request a callback on our website.
- Visit Manningham Business' COVID-19 Support for your business page for a full list of information, resources and grants from other governments.
- Subscribe to our regular Manningham Business e-news to receive news and updates for businesses in Manningham.
What about residents who live in a business activity centre?
Impact on residents will form part of the assessment for each application. All applicants will be required to consult with their immediate neighbours.
What other support is available for businesses?
Our Business Liaison Team are also available to help you, if you need support or assistance please request a call back on our website.