There are a range of requirements around fences in Manningham. When building a new fence or changing an existing fence, it is important to check if a building permit is required. 

The following is a summary of the general building permit requirements for fencing including front fences, boundary fences and fencing disputes.

Front fences

A Building Permit is required if a fence is within 3 metres of an allotment boundary facing a street alignment and is of:

  • Brick or masonry (including brick piers) and greater than 1.2 metres in height; and
  • Timber or other lightweight construction and greater than 1.5 metres in height.

Important Notes

Do you live in the General Residential Zone 1 (GRZ1)?

If your allotment is situated within a General Residential Zone 1 (GRZ1) all front fences are restricted to a maximum height of 1.2 metres. Fence heights for properties outside of GRZ1 zones are generally restricted to a maximum height of 1.5 metres. For more information refer to our Icon for application/pdf Building Information Sheet - Front Fences GRZ1 (380.04 KB).

To find out if your property is in the General Residential Zone 1, please call our Statutory Planning on 9840 9470.

Do you live on a corner property?

If your property is on a corner allotment, any fencing located within 9 metres of the street intersection is restricted to a maximum height of 1 metre, please refer to diagram below.

Corner Block Fencing Height Diagram

Report and Consent Application for Front Fences

Please refer to our Report and Consent Siting Variation for:

  • Fences above 1.2 metres in General Residential Zone 1
  • Fences above 1 metre on corner properties
  • Fences above 1.5 metres in all other zones

Boundary Fences

Fencing between two properties is generally a private matter between the property owners concerned. The design and construction of jointly owned boundary fences is administered by the Fences Act 1968. Any disputes are ultimately resolved via the Magistrates Court process.

A Building Permit is required for all other fencing such as side or rear fencing separating properties if:

  • The fence is greater than 2 metres in height.

More information on boundary fences is available from:

Fencing Disputes

Disputes between neighbours involving dividing fences are the most common disputes dealt with at the Dispute Settlement Centre of Victoria.

Your rights and responsibilities are contained in the Fences Act 1968.

You can also find more information on your responsibilities regarding boundary fencing at Fencing Law in Victoria.

More information is available from the Dispute Settlement Centre or call the Dispute Settlement Centre on 1300 372 888.

For more information on the building permit exemptions relating to fencing please refer to Icon for application/pdf Building Permit Exemptions for Fencing (6.14 KB)

Was this helpful?
Thank you for your feedback.

Why wasn't this information helpful?

  • Not enough information
  • Too much information
  • Confusing
  • I couldn't find what I was looking for
  • Incorrect
  • Other
Limit to 250 characters.