Council's key climate and energy policies are the Climate 2020 Action Plan (8.18 MB) and Securing the Future Adaptation Plan (4.57 MB), which seek to reduce emissions and encourage people to adapt to our changing environment.
Through action 5.1 of the Securing the Future Adaptation Plan, Council has also developed the Manningham City Council Food Security Plan 2016-2021 (2.74 MB). That plan aims to assist in creating a sustainable food system that allows economic and physical access to locally sourced food for individuals and businesses, whilst also providing the capacity for readily obtaining information for decision making that leads to healthy food choices.
In addition, Council tracks organisational energy use and carbon emissions through the Ecofootprint Project and initiates activities in house through its Green Office Green Organisation Program (GOGO).
Please view the Ecofootprint Report 15-16 (456.63 KB) for more infomation.
Doncaster Hill Smart Energy Zone
The Doncaster Hill Smart Energy Zone Action Plan (1.83 MB) supports a transition to 21st Century energy solutions. The Action Plan is essentially an energy road map, guided by three objectives:
- Reduce energy demand and greenhouse emissions
- Generate alternative and renewable energy within the Hill
- Establish Doncaster Hill as a sustainability laboratory
Council encourages the local community to be active participants in reducing energy use and emissions.
The following links offer ways to save energy at home and reduce your impact on climate change:
- Discover how to reduce your energy bills. Consider purchasing green power from your electricity retailer
- What about a solar hot water system which typically pays for itself after five to six years
- Choose a Green Plumber to assist with selection of your heating and cooling systems, and solar hot water
- Purchasing a new home, then check out its house energy rating first
- Are you building or renovating? Learn how to design the energy-smart way
You can help with local efforts to reduce Manningham's impact on the environment by being energy smart and by contacting Positive Charge.