Manningham community profile and forecasts
The Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) census data from 2016 is now available for use by our community, community groups, investors, businesses, students and other people interested in effectively planning for the future.
Our City continues to be an attractive place for families to live. For a snapshot of the latest statistics and demographic population data, use the .id toolkit, including:
- Community Profile: Population facts and characteristics with comparisons over time and with other areas
- Population Forecast: Outlines the factors driving population change in the community and how the population, age structure and household types will change each year
- Social Atlas: Maps that show how particular population groups are distributed across the City
- Economic Profile: Economic information that describes Manningham’s role within the broader regional economy.
The Manningham Community Profile provides demographic analysis for the City and its suburbs based on results from the 2016, 2011, 2006, 2001, 1996 and 1991 Censuses of Population and Housing.
The Manningham population and household forecasts highlight the factors driving population change in the community and how the population, age structure and household types will change each year between 2016 and 2036. Forecasts are available for each year from 2011 to 2036.
- The 2016 Estimated Resident Population of Manningham is 122,902, an increase of 6,152 from 2011 (116,750).
- Like much of Melbourne, the Manningham population is ageing, with 27 per cent of Manningham residents aged 60 and over.
- The median age of Manningham residents is 43 years old
- 42 per cent of our community speak a language other than English at home.
- Manningham has a total land area of 114 square kilometres, including substantial green open spaces.
- The municipality is mostly defined by natural boundaries: the Yarra to the north and west, Koonung Creek to the south.
- The Mullum Mullum Creek divides Manningham into two distinct areas with the land to the west being urban in character and primarily rural/residential land to the east.
- Our transport network includes more than 40 bus routes, more than 45 kilometres of off-road bicycle trails and 850 kilometres of roads.
- Manningham has one of the largest networks of open space in metropolitan Melbourne. It covers approximately 17 per cent of the municipality, and includes more than 300 parks, gardens and reserves.
- We are home to 22 per cent of Victoria's known plants, including 11 species of State significance and four species of National significance.
- We provide a sanctuary to 56 threatened animal species.
- Manningham has a thriving and diverse local economy serviced by more than 27,500 registered local businesses, including almost 12,719 active businesses.
- The vast majority of businesses in Manningham are small businesses employing fewer than five people and approximately one third of all Manningham businesses are home-based.
Download the demographic fact sheets below to find out more information about:
- Who we are
- How we live
- Where we come from, and
- What we do.