The Manningham Maternal and Child Health (MCH) service is free for all families with children living in Manningham from birth to school age.
All MCH nurses are registered nurses with additional qualifications in midwifery and maternal and child health.
Our Maternal and Child Health service includes:
- Review your child's health, growth and development
- Education and promotion around your child's early years
- Parenting support and information
- First time parent groups
- Feeding and nutritional guidance
- Immunisation information
- Infant and parent emotional well-being support
- Child safety information
- Connecting parents to local community services
When your baby is born the hospital will advise the council's Maternal and Child Health Service. Our team will then call you to arrange a suitable date and time for an appointment, usually in your own home.
We offer free 10 free key age and stage consultations:
- Home visit
- 2 weeks
- 4 weeks
- 8 weeks
- 4 months
- 8 months
- 12 months
- 18 months
- 2 years
- 3 ½ years
If you have recently moved to Manningham and have children aged under 4 years, call us on 9840 9199 or 9840 9188, Monday to Friday 9.00am to 5.00pm.
What do I need to bring to an appointment?
- Your child's 'My Health and Development' booklet
- A change of clothes for your baby
- A towel or bunny rug for the scales
- A spare nappy
- A plastic bag to take home a dirty nappy
It is important to keep your regular appointments, even as your child gets older, to detect any problems and organise appropriate follow up care as soon as possible.
How to book an appointment
Maternal and child health locations
Bulleen 5-7 Derreck Avenue, Bulleen, 3105
Doncaster MC2, 687 Doncaster Road, Doncaster, 3108
Deep Creek 510-518 Blackburn Road, Doncaster East, 3109
Tunstall Corner Tunstall Road and Maggs Street, Doncaster East, 3109
Templestowe Lower 35-41 Mayfair Avenue, Templestowe Lower, 3107
Warrandyte 8 Taroona Avenue, Warrandyte, 3113
Evening appointments are offered to families who can't attend during normal business hours, appointments are available on Tuesday evenings at Deep Creek and Doncaster.
Maternal and child health line - 13 22 29
24 hour telephone support with Maternal and Child Health nurses. To find out more visit MCH Line website
Manningham MCH programs and sessions
Starting Solid Foods
Learn how to introduce your baby to solid foods at our free information sessions. All your questions answered in a friendly and informative presentation facilitated by a Maternal and Child Health Nurse.
Online bookings are essential via the booking form on the Starting Solid Foods webpage.
Sleep Information Sessions - "Supporting your child to sleep"
Exploring how to support your child's sleep from 4 to 12 months at these monthly sessions. Online bookings are essential via the booking form on the webpage
If you need more support, day and residential stay referrals to Early Parenting Centres are available from your MCH Nurse or GP.
You can also get support from:
You can get a referral through your MCH Nurse for full hour consultation with a Lactation Consultant.
If you need more information or support you can visit:
- Australian Breastfeeding Association
- Royal Womens Hospital
- Find a Lactation Consultant
- Raising Children Network
Family and children community groups and activities
First time parents with new babies will be invited to be part of a first time parents groups. A range of topics are discussed at the sessions which are held once a week, for 6 weeks. For more information please talk to your MCH Nurse.
There are also a number of other groups and programs you can take part in:
- Find a playgroup
- Dads Groups
- MOPS- Mothers of Pre-Schoolers
- Mother Goose Program
- Library Story-Time
- Mums Space
- DET playgroups
- Parenting Vic -practical information for Victorian parents and carers
- Raising Children Network
- Visit Royal Children's Hospital website or call 9345 5522
- Royal Children's Hospital Immunisation- 9345 6599
- Department of Health
- Better Health Channel
- Department of Education and Early Childhood Development
- Visit Beyond Blue website or call 1300 22 4636
- Find accurate and reliable information about your child’s health, learning and development can be easy with the new free MCH App
- 24 Hour MCH Line - 13 22 29
- Manningham City Council Immunisation - 9840 9256
- Medicare Australia - 13 20 11
- Australian Breastfeeding Association - 1800 686 268