A food business is any organisation that sells food or drink.

In Victoria, all food businesses must be registered through their local council and follow regulations to ensure that the food they sell is safe to eat.

If you are wanting to purchase an existing food business, please visit apply for a transfer of Food Business permit.

Re-Inspection Fees

From 1 January 2019, a re-inspection fee of $114.43 will apply where a follow-up inspection identifies a ‘continuing non-compliance’ in relation to food safety.

Annual registration fees only cover initial assessments / inspections and do not cover the cost to perform follow-up inspections.

How will it be applied?

The fee will apply where an Environmental Health Officer performs a follow up inspection and finds items have not been addressed within the timeframe required.


A proprietor is given 7 days to repair a defective hand wash basin. A follow up inspection 7 days later finds the hand wash basin has not been fixed.

  • A re-inspection fee will be charged against this business for failing to repair the hand wash basin within 7 days.

Another follow up inspection performed 7 days later identifies the hand wash basin still remains defective,

  • A 2nd re-inspection fee will be charged against this business for failing to repair the hand wash basin

Penalty Infringements

In the event that a Penalty Infringement is issued for a serious or ongoing breach under the Food Act, Re-inspection fees will still apply.

What if I don’t pay?

Re-inspection fees are permitted to be charged under the Victorian Food Act 1984. Proprietors must ensure any reinspection fees due are paid in order to renew registration. A proprietor that fails to renew registration may be issued a penalty infringement or be prosecuted for operating without Food Act registration.


Council may consider withdrawing a Re-inspection fee depending upon verifiable and independent supporting documentation that shows something unexpected has occurred that resulted in the continuing non-compliance. Appeals can be addressed to the Coordinator Environmental Health and submitted by:


Under the Victorian Food Act 1984 (Food Act), you must register the premises where your food is prepared for sale (or provided as part of a service).

This includes:

  • cafes
  • restaurants
  • domestic kitchens
  • mobile food vehicles
  • food stalls
  • child care centres
  • aged care facilities, and
  • similar premises.

You should read the information below on Food Business Classifications, Setting up a Food Business, Food Safety Program and Food Safety Supervisor requirements to assist you in this process.

Food Business Classifications

Before registering, you must first identify which classification your food business falls under. Please refer to: Food Premises Classification System 

If you fall under class 4, you do not need to register your food business. However, you must submit a Icon for application/pdf Class 4 Notification of a Food Premises (109.51 KB)to Council.  We may request further information to ensure you are not in a higher classification.

Setting up a Food Business / Altering a Food Business

It is recommended that you submit an application for pre-approval prior to any structural works or refurbishments commencing on any building or premises.

You must also ensure you have obtained any Planning or Building permits if required.

Pre-approval will be subject to compliance with the Food Standards Australia New Zealand - Standard 3.2.3 (Food Premises and Equipment).

You cannot legally operate a food business unless you satisfy all Food Act requirements and have been granted Food Act registration.

Commercial / Retail Food Businesses

Home Based Food Businesses 

You must confirm with Council's Statutory Planning Department that your home is suitable for a 'Home Occupation' and does not breach planning regulations.

Find out more about these requirements and by reading the following documents.

Food businesses must also ensure they have a Trade Waste agreement with Yarra Valley Water.

Please refer to the following documents or visit Yarra Valley Water for more information.

Food Safety Programs

Class 1 and 2 food businesses must complete and submit a Food Safety Program to Council.

A range of approved Food Safety Program Templates can be found on the Victorian Government Health website.

Class 3 premises can choose to use either a Food Safety Program Template or keep the Minimum Records as required under the Food Act.


Food Safety Supervisors

Class 1 and 2 food businesses must nominate a Food Safety Supervisor who has completed the required training. They must submit a Statement of Attainment to Council, which meets the Minimum Competency Standards.

To find Recognised Training Organisations (RTO's) visit My Skills.

If you are a Class 2 Community Group / Not For Profit organisation you are exempt from the Food Safety Supervisor requirement unless you operate for more than two consecutive days.

Annual Registration and Fees

Following a final inspection, you will receive an application to register in accordance with the Victorian Food Act 1984.

Annual registration fees are based on the type of operation and cover administration costs, compliance checks and statutory food sampling.

Food Safety

Council's Environmental Health Officers carry out the following duties:

  • Inspect food premises to ensure food is being prepared and sold in a safe manner
  • Conduct food safety program compliance checks
  • Investigate food related complaints to trace sources of food poisoning or food contamination
  • Conduct food sampling
  • Conduct food recalls to remove contaminated food products from retail businesses
  • Seize potentially unsafe food to prevent its sale.

Complaints relating to the operation of a food business or alleged food poisoning can be lodged with an online service request or by Contacting Council on 9840 9333.

Food Safety Breaches

Businesses can be prosecuted for food safety breaches if there has been serious non-compliance or a repeated failure to comply with food laws.

View the full Register of Convictions.

Five Star Food Safety Assessments

Council's Environmental Health Officers conduct a Five Star Food Safety Awards program in accordance with the Icon for application/pdf Five Star Food Safety Assessment Guide (907.73 KB)

Review a list of current Manningham food businesses that have received the five star food safety rating.