When do you need a permit for property and development

Knowing when you need a permit is important before you start any work. Below is a guide to help you get familiar with the needs that may affect your project

Why do you need to get approval at all?

Most changes to property or land need approval of some sort - whether it's removing a tree, painting facades or constructing new buildings.

All developments follow a vast range federal, state and local government legislations. These legislative instruments are there to guide and benefit our whole community - whether it's due to safety, protecting our environment or history, accessibility, or cohesion and character.

For property and developments, our most important guiding controls include:

The Planning and development in Victoria is primarily regulated under the Planning and Environment Act 1987. The Act sets out the legal framework for the State Governments planning system and the introduces Planning Schemes statewide across Victoria.

The Manningham Planning Scheme sets out objectives, policies and land use and development controls for the entire municipality. The planning scheme guides what land can be used for (e.g. commercial or residential) and how land may be developed or used (e.g. new apartment building, childcare or medical centre, works to a heritage building, ).

The NCC provides the minimum necessary requirements for health and safety, amenity and accessibility, and sustainability in the design, construction, performance and liveability of new buildings (and new building work in existing buildings) throughout Australia.

What types of projects need a permit?

Here are some common projects that need approval - but do contact us even if your project is not listed here:

  • asset protection
  • multi-dwelling developments and apartments
  • new builds - single dwelling
  • buildings and works, including some some internal changes to a building
  • demolition/partial demolition and new works to heritage buildings
  • outbuildings like sheds, pergolas, decks, verandahs
  • removing trees and vegetation
  • new land uses such as childcare centres, medical centres etc...
  • earthworks
  • Septic tanks
  • tennis courts and swimming pools and spas
  • fencing
  • signage
  • subdivision of land
  • covenant removal/variations
  • consent for any works or the like if your land has a Section 173 agreement.

Hoping to build sustainably?

We've collated a few resources for you to be mindful of when building.

View resources

You have a dream project - where to start

New to building or renovation?

For advice on all things renovation and construction, visit the Victorian Building Authority (VBA).

Every dream project is different with its own needs and challenges, some are within the realms of possibility and others... unfortunately are not. Here are the steps to give you a rough guide on the process, timeframes and costs when starting any project:

  1. Contact us to discuss your project with us to confirm if you need a planning permit
    Contact us

    You can also view:
    > Apply for a planning property enquiry
    > Apply for pre-application advice
    > Learn about the planning permit process

    If you don't need a planning permit you can proceed straight to building permit
  2. If we confirm that you need a planning permit, start the application
    >Apply for a planning permit
    > View planning permit fees

    After you apply you can also
    > Track the progress of your planning permit applications
  3. Get a building permit before you start construction
    > Learn about the building permit process

    We do not issue building permits so you will need to contact a building surveyor to organise a building permit.
    You will need the permit to ensure what you're hoping to construct or change is done right and to building code standards. 
  4. Apply for any the other permits you need before you start works
    You may need permits for connecting to infrastructure, protection of public assets and many more. Often you will find out which permits you need throughout the process, so it is always best to discuss your plans with us or industry professionals. 

    Some common permits include:
    > Apply for works, drainage and stormwater permit
    > Apply for an Asset protection permit