Driveways and vehicle crossings/cross overs

You will require a Icon for application/pdf Vehicle Crossing Permit Application (587.89 KB) to alter, repair or construct a driveway in Manningham.

A vehicle crossing, or cross over, is the section of driveway from the front of the property boundary to the roadway.

The fee for this application is $298.00. Once you have submitted your form, an invoice for the application fee will be forwarded to you within approximately seven to ten days. Please don't send any payments with your application form. A permit will be issued once payment has been received.

Permits are valid for a period of six months from the date of issue unless approval has been given to extend the permit. We reserve the right to revoke the permit at any time.

The vehicle crossing must conform to Council Standards, specifications and requirements and be constructed under Council supervision.

Vehicle crossings must be a minimum of 3 metres and a maximum of 6 metres in width unless approved as part of a planning permit.

The number of vehicle crossings permitted per property is detailed in the table below:

Property Frontage1 vehicle crossing2 vehicle crossings
0 metres to 15 metres3 metres onlyNot permitted
15 metres to 30 metres3 metres to 6 metresNot permitted
30 metres to 60 metres3 metres to 6 metres3 metres each
60+ metres (rural area)3 metres to 6 metres3 metres to 6 metres each

For further information please call the Infrastructure Services Unit on 9846 0500.

Temporary traffic management for works or events

If you are planning to conduct works or an event that will impact traffic on Council roads, you will require consent from us to erect temporary traffic management.

To apply for consent you will need:

  • A completed application form (available below).
  • A suitable traffic management plan prepared by a qualified person.
  • A copy of your Public Liability Insurance certificate of currency (minimum cover $20 Million).

Depending on your proposed traffic management and the impact on the road network, you may also need other documents, such as a detour plan or aftercare plan.

Further information to help you plan and complete your application can be found attached to the Icon for application/pdf Application - Erect Temporary Traffic Control Devices For Works or Events on Roads (573.81 KB)

If your works or event impact a Department of Transport (DOT, formerly VicRoads) arterial road, or you require major traffic control devices that we cannot authorise, you will also require a Memorandum of Authorisation from DOT. More information can be found on the VicRoads’ website.

We note it can often take some time to get approval from DOT, so you can submit this separately to your application if needed. However, as we need confirmation DOT has approved the traffic management on their roads, we cannot provide our own consent until we receive this.

Once you have prepared your application, submit your completed form with the necessary documents to Please allow 10 business days for us to review your application and for any amendments that may be necessary. We will contact you if we require any further information or amendments to your application.

For full road closures, a fee of $117.00 applies. After submitting your application we will provide an invoice and advice on payment methods. 

If you require further information regarding your application, please contact our Infrastructure Services team on 9846 0500.

Please note this application is for consent to erect temporary traffic control devices only. Depending on your works you may also need other approval.

Working within a road reserve

If you are planning to undertake works within a Council managed road, easement, footpath, nature strip or reserve, you are required to get a Works and Drainage permit (WDP) before you start. These works can include stormwater and general utility connection works for private properties, larger scale utility replacement works along a street, geotechnical investigations and many more types of works.

Please note that with a stormwater connection you also require approval and an inspection. Find out more about the requirements for stormwater connections into Council drains.  

When you are applying for the permit, you will be responsible for managing public safety, reinstatement following the works, pedestrian and traffic management impacts. You may be required to produce traffic management plans for the works before the permit will be approved.

Once an application is submitted, conditions will be set for the undertaking of the works and an invoice will be send. The permit fee is $348.00 and the permit will be issued after we have received payment.           

Apply for a Works and Drainage permit

Road Management Plan and Manningham Public Roads Register

The Victorian Road Management Act 2004 allows and encourages Victorian road authorities including all Councils to prepare a Road Management Plan (Section 49) and requires them to keep a Register of Public Roads (Section 19). The information to be included in a Road Management Plan is detailed in the Code of Practice for Road Management Plans.

Links to the latest versions of our Road Management Plan and Register of Public Roads can be found below:​​

Was this helpful?
Thank you for your feedback.

Why wasn't this information helpful?

  • Not enough information
  • Too much information
  • Confusing
  • I couldn't find what I was looking for
  • Incorrect
  • Other
Limit to 250 characters.