The Local Government Act 2020 requires candidates in a council election, return election campaign donations. Returns must be:
- done within 40 days after election day
- to the Chief Executive Officer.
Campaign donation returns on gifts to, and on behalf of candidates must contain the amount or value equal to, or exceeding the gift disclosure threshold of $500. This includes the amount or value of:
- in-kind support.
Election campaign return details relate to the donation period and during an election campaign.
The donation period begins either:
- 30 days after the last general election for the council
- 30 days after the last election for the council at which the person required to give the election campaign donation return was a candidate
- whichever is the later and ending 30 days after election day in the current election for the council.
Within 14 days after the deadline for completed returns, summaries will be available on our website. They’ll be available until the entitlement date for the next general election.