Why do you need to register your business?
In Victoria, you need to register any accommodation business with your local council.
We check that your business aligns with the Public Health and Wellbeing (Prescribed Accommodation) Regulations 2020 and any other standards to ensure that you:
- meet hygiene, maintenance and other standards and requirements
- minimise public health risks from the shared use of facilities, high turnover of occupants and/or overcrowding.
What is an accommodation business?
Any home based or commercial business that includes these services is considered an accomodation business:
- hotels and motels
- student dormitories
- holiday camps
- caravan parks
- bed and breakfast accommodation
- rooming houses
- residential accommodation
Not sure what type of business you have? Contact us
How much does it cost?
How to register a new business
- Download and read the Rooming House Fact sheet:
- Download and complete the supporting documentation:
- Select 'Apply now' below to start the pre-approval process: