Manningham generally enjoys a high level of health and wellbeing and is recognised as one of the healthiest municipalities in Victoria. However, there are always opportunities to enhance community health and wellbeing. Manningham’s Health and Wellbeing Strategy 2021 - 2025 outlines how we will continue to work with our community and partner organisations to ensure people living in Manningham are healthy, safe, resilient, connected and inclusive.
Manningham’s Health and Wellbeing Strategy 2021 – 2025 was developed using an integrated planning approach with Manningham’s Council Plan 2021-2025. The Strategy works towards achieving Council's Vision and Healthy Community Goals.
Manningham’s 2040 Community Vision:
Manningham is a peaceful, inclusive and safe community. We celebrate life with its diverse culture, wildlife and natural environment. We are resilient and value sustainable and healthy living, a sense of belonging, and respect for one another.
Healthy Community Goals:
- Healthy, safe and resilient community
- Connected and inclusive community
Manningham’s Health and Wellbeing Strategy 2021 – 2025 recognises the municipality’s many strengths and builds on the achievements of its predecessor; the Healthy City Strategy 2017 – 2021. The Health and Wellbeing Strategy 2021 – 2025 has identified a number of health and wellbeing priorities impacting the community today and into the future. These will be addressed in partnership with our soon to be formed Health and Wellbeing Advisory Committee, and the Manningham community to ensure residents continue to have the opportunity to improve their health and wellbeing.
The development of the Strategy has been informed by a review of the previous Healthy City Strategy 2017-2021, community feedback, and analysis of state-wide and local health data contained in our State of the City and Health Needs Analysis 2020 report. These findings have informed the development of seven priority areas, contained under two key goals:
Goal 1. A healthy, safe and resilient community:
- Improved social and emotional wellbeing
- Increased healthy eating
- Increased active lifestyles
- Increased adaptation to the health impacts from climate change
- Reduced injury and harm
- Prevention of family violence
Goal 2. A connected and inclusive community:
- Increased connection to and engagement in community life
In developing these priority areas, Council has included consideration of:
- Across the life course – we looked at the lifespan of our community from infants, children and young people to older adults, to understand the impacts on health and wellbeing at different life stages
- Community groups – we identified the needs and priorities of people from multicultural communities, the LGBTQIA+ community, First Nations peoples, carers and people with disability
- Genders – we assessed how all genders and intersectionality, which are attributes other than gender such as age, disability or sexual orientation, may be impacted by a range of health issues
Implementing the Strategy
Manningham’s Health and Wellbeing Strategy 2021 – 2025 will be supported by two biennial Action Plans. Each Action Plan will contain a set of activities developed under the seven key priority areas. These activities will be delivered with our partners to help us achieve the changes that we want to see in our community’s health and wellbeing over the next four years.