The early Victoria building, constructed circa 1876 is of regional significance for its historical importance as being the only relatively intact building in the town's main street dating from the gold mining period.
Henry Squires first used the building as a Post Office in 1893. Australia Post terminated its lease of the building in 1972 after which it was used as a residence for many years.
The original post office was partly destroyed by fire in 1982. Local efforts saw its reconstruction achieved between 1985 and 1988 and the building was reopened as a community and tourist information centre in 1987.
Even though it has been rebuilt, some original sections of the building remain. The new sections of the building have been reconstructed with some care to the original detailing.
111 Yarra Street, Warrandyte VIC 3113. Melway ref. 35 D1
Hours of entry:
1pm to 4pm (2.00 to 5.00pm during daylight savings) Saturday and Sunday.
For further information:
The Warrandyte Historical Society is an incorporated association run by a committee of management. The group is affiliated with the Whitehorse Manningham Heritage Network and Picture Victoria.