What we are doing
Motion to declare climate emergency approved by Council
On January 28 2020, Manningham Council unanimously approved a motion to declare a climate emergency. This resolution acknowledged that we are in a state of serious climate and environmental change and that urgent climate actions were required.
We have rolled out many initiatives over recent years to reduce climate change and greenhouse gas emissions. These initiatives have included the introduction of:
- energy efficient LED streetlights
- a low emission Electric Vehicle Council fleet
- solar power
- green power purchasing and a wind-powered electricity supply through the Victorian Energy Collaboration (VECO)
Climate mitigation targets adopted by Council
On October 2021, Manningham Council unanimously adopted climate mitigation targets. These targets are:
- net zero greenhouse gas emissions by 2028 for Council operations
- net zero emissions by 2035 for the Manningham community
The climate emergency resolution and the net zero targets empower us to increase and speed up climate action. Community feedback tells us that there is a shared commitment with Council to take this increased action on climate change.
Draft Climate Emergency Action Plan developed
A Climate Emergency Action Plan has been developed, outlining actions to address climate change.
The draft plan outlines easy ways that you can tackle climate change in your neighbourhood, including:
- switching to solar
- learning more by attending a climate education event
- applying for a LEAF grant to preserve your natural values on your property
- managing your waste and recycling
Draft Climate Emergency Action Plan open for community feedback
This draft plan is now available for community consultation. Get involved and provide feedback.