Why register your pool or spa?
New swimming pool and spa laws were introduced by the State Government in 2019 to enforce safety barrier standards and reduce the number of deaths by drowning among young children.
The new laws require your private pool or spa to:
- be registered with your local council
- provide proof that you're complying with existing safety barrier standards
You are responsible for ensuring your private pool or spa remains compliant at all times.
Which type of pools and spas need to be registered
Swimming pools and spas need to be registered. What is the definition of a swimming pool or spa?
Yes it needs to be registered if:
- Relocatable pool or spa capable of containing a water level of 300mm (30cm) or above
- Permanent pool or spa capable of containing a water level of 300mm (30cm) or above
Not sure if your pool or spa needs registering?
When to register by?
Existing pools or spas must be registered by 01 November 2021.
New pools or spas must be registered within 30 days of completion.
Failure to register in time may result in fines or legal action.
How much does it cost
The registration cost depends on when your pool or spa was built. The fee includes:
- administration costs
- Information search fee for pools and spas construction prior to 1 June 2020 (only for existing)
How to pay
Pay by credit card. This fee must be paid at the time of online registration.
How to register your pool or spa
Otherwise, contact us.
What happens next?
After you have registered your pool or spa, you'll need to:
- Get your pool or spa certified by a registered inspector to provide you with a certificate of compliance
- Lodge the certificate of compliance with us within 30 days of its issue date.
- Continue to maintain your pool or spa barrier. You'll need to submit a new certificate of compliance to us every four years.
- Let us know if your pool or spa is removed
The State Government has a zero tolerance approach to any owners not committed to ensuring adequate water safety for young children. Significant penalties apply if a matter is brought before the court.
How to cancel a pool or spa registration
If your pool or spa no longer exists, you can remove your pool or spa from our records.