Our key policies
Our key climate and energy policies are the Climate 2020 Action Plan and Securing the Future Adaptation Plan, which seek to reduce emissions and encourage people to adapt to our changing environment.
Through action 5.1 of the Securing the Future Adaptation Plan, we have also developed the Manningham City Council Food Security Plan 2016-2021. The plan aims to assist in creating a sustainable food system that allows economic and physical access to locally sourced food for individuals and businesses. It also provides the capacity for readily obtaining information for decision making that leads to healthy food choices.
You can also read about how we are leading sustainability action in our Annual Environment Report for 2020.
Find all these documents in the Related downloads section.
We encourage the local community to be active participants in reducing energy use and emissions.
Save energy at home and reduce your impact on climate change with these tips:
- Discover how to get the best deal on your energy bill. Consider purchasing green power from your electricity retailer.
- Choose a Green Plumber to assist with selection of your heating and cooling systems, and solar hot water.
- Purchasing a new home? Check out its house energy rating.
- Building or renovating? Learn how to design the energy-smart way.
Manningham Solar Savers program
Solar Savers is a local government initiative helping households and businesses to install quality and affordable rooftop solar and batteries. This initiative is supported by Manningham Council in partnership with Solar Savers.
We provide subsidies to pensioners for roof top solar and to all residents who install batteries purchased through Solar Savers. This is an opportunity for residents, particularly pensioners, to learn how to reduce their energy cost by installing roof top solar. And for those who want to ensure their power stays on, even during blackouts, energy security for the home is now made more affordable.
Benefits of rooftop solar
By installing rooftop solar through Solar Savers, you can:
- reduce energy bills
- future-proof against increasing energy costs
- support the transition to clean, renewable energy.
Receive a free quote
Eligible residents and businesses with suitable rooftops for solar will receive a free quote. The quote will include:
- indictive costs
- expected energy and cost savings.
You will have the opportunity to discuss the quote with the installer and Solar Savers to ensure solar power is suitable for you.
Visit the Solar Savers website to find out more about the:
- $1000 Manningham Council subsidy for battery installation
- $2800 worth of State Government rebates and loans available for the installation of solar or batteries.
The Climate Emergency Action Plan (CEAP) set a target of ‘zero emissions Manningham by 2035’.
Electrification of our homes, cars and workplaces is the fastest, most effective path to stop the planet heating. And the good news is we already have the technology to remove fossil fuels from households. What does this mean? In simple terms, over the next ten years for each household to make plans for replacing gas appliances with electric ones and petrol cars with electric vehicles.
The momentum for electrification is rising in communities all around Australia. Recent actions include:
- over 100 local governments have signed up to the 'electrify everything' campaign for the month of May 2023
- a world first pilot to 'Electrify 2515' led by the community with the 2515 postcode and inspired by Dr Saul Griffith
- Federal Labour energy minister Chris Bowen has promised ‘meaningful and substantial’ electrification measures in the budget announcement on 9 May 2023.