Apply for a point of discharge

Apply online

Read the information below before you apply

Apply now

What is a legal point of discharge?

Stormwater that falls on a property is collected and drained to what is usually the lowest point on the property, which is known as the ‘legal point of discharge’.

This collected stormwater is then ‘discharged’ or released to the Council stormwater system, which is usually an underground drain in the street or in a property easement.

If no underground drain is available, the stormwater is drained to the ‘kerb and channel’ in the nearby street.

In some cases, the property owner will be required to construct a new drain to connect with the Council’s stormwater system. This is known as the 'point of connection'.

The property owner is responsible for the construction and maintenance for all drains, including drains outside of the property boundary, up to the Council’s stormwater system.

A legal point of discharge (POD) can be one of the following.

  • The point where rain or stormwater runs off a property, then flows into the council drain network. You’ll need to apply for a legal point of discharge certificate that’ll show the location and connection type that’s allowed.
  • The point specified by us where the discharging of water must occur.


Where is a POD located?

A POD is usually:

  • the nearest pit or drain of adequate depth and capacity
  • a point specified by a council officer.


When do you need a POD?

Before any issuing of a building permit, you must get a POD report for any work that has a drainage system. This will help a building surveyor make sure that the design of the internal drainage system is:

  • in accordance with the approval
  • connected to the specific point of discharge.

An application for a POD is a requirement for developments that include stormwater drainage systems.

You may also need to obtain a legal point of discharge report, if you are preparing Engineering Plans for our approval.


How much does it cost?

The cost for the POD is $155.35


How to apply

You can apply online for a LPOD.

Apply now


What happens next?

After submitting your application fee, we’ll email you with the relevant details within 10 working days.

The Legal Point of Discharge Report will provide information on:

  • The Legal Point of Discharge in accordance with the Building Act
  • The Point of Connection
  • Advice on the location of any Council's drains, where available
  • Advice on additional Building and Planning requirements

The report does not contain information regarding the existing private stormwater system on the property or the existing point of connection.

How to cancel

Contact us to cancel your application