Manningham Mayor, Cr Paul McLeish has recognised two outstanding residents as part of the 2015 Australia Day celebrations.
- Citizen of the Year – Anthony Monley and
- Young Citizen of the Year – Natasha DiFederico.
Cr McLeish said part of the spirit of Australia Day is about mateship and giving to the community, and both recipients are inspirational people who enrich our community life.
Citizen of the Year – Anthony Monley is an outstanding member of the community who is passionate about social justice and supporting the most vulnerable and disadvantaged.
- Anthony is a strong contributor to the community, working tirelessly to improve the lives of disadvantaged and marginalised people both here and overseas.
- He is a dedicated member of community service clubs such as Apex and also Rotary, where he has held roles of President and Assistant Governor and is currently District Governor.
- He is an active participant in physical service projects and contributes to ongoing fundraising activities that support International Rotary service projects.
- He is the President of the Doncare Board of Directors, the Treasurer of the Eastern Community Legal Centre Board and serves on the board of Northern TAFE and the Dental Hospital Board.
Our Young Citizen of the Year is Natasha DiFederico who has been recognised for her generosity, her drive and community spirit.
- During her time at Bulleen Plaza she has graduated from junior receptionist to Assistant Manager. It is in this role that she has displayed her organisational talents, helping to raise $1661 for the Olivia Newton John Cancer and Wellness Centre, participated in the wellness walk and raising significant funds on her own.
- She has setup and maintains a Facebook page for Bulleen Plaza, organises monthly market days and other activities for the centre and residents of Bulleen.
- She also organised the “Before I Die” wall at Bulleen Plaza, that encourages people to look beyond their everyday life and gives them the opportunity to put in writing their desires, ambitions and what they would like to achieve. The wall was opened by the Mayor of Manningham and was a first in the Manningham area, and only one of 700 in the world.
Cr McLeish said both Anthony and Natasha are outstanding role models and I hope their achievements encourage others to get more involved in our community.
“Manningham Council is very proud to present them with these honours and we look forward to their continued contribution to the community,” he said.
Citizen and Young Citizen of the Year Awards are presented annually to local citizens who have made outstanding contributions to the community.
The awards are provided by the Australia Day Committee (Victoria) and are administered by local government authorities throughout Victoria on behalf of the Committee.