In mid-February, we’ll begin work to replace the external aluminium composite panel (ACP) cladding at MC Square.
Construction is expected to take around a year to complete and associated insulation works will also take place at this time to reduce future disruptions.
If further associated works are scheduled at MC Square while the cladding is being replaced, we will let you know.
- All MC Square services and entry and exit points will continue to operate normally and we will do our best to minimise disruptions
- You may notice some noise associated with the dismantling of cladding, drilling and the use of other power tools
- In preparation for the works, we will install scaffolding around the building, and this will remain in place until construction is complete
- Although construction will primarily involve the outside of the building, workers may occasionally work on small jobs inside, such as waterproofing and conducting engineering checks
- Up-to-date information on project progress will be available on our website.
The cladding replacement follows the Victorian Building Authority (VBA) state-wide cladding review which identified MC Square as the only Manningham Council owned building with combustible ACP cladding.
The overall risk relating to the building’s cladding is not an immediate and high enough risk that replacement can be covered by or managed by compensation from Cladding Safety Victoria.
When it was constructed 10 years ago, the flammable cladding issue was not clearly identified and despite looking at all the courses available to council, there is no option to recover these costs.
Council has allocated $3.4 million to remove and replace the cladding from the 2021/22 and 2022/23 budgets to make the building compliant with current building standards.
Your safety is our priority. The new panels and construction scaffolding comply with stringent building regulations, and it is safe to continue visiting MC Square while works are underway.
Thank you for your patience while we complete this important project.
If you have any questions or require further information, please contact us on 9840 9333.
You can read more on our Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) page.