What actions will you take to combat climate change?
We have endorsed a draft Climate Emergency Action Plan to meet the climate mitigation targets adopted in late 2021.
Our climate mitigation targets are:
- net zero emissions by 2028 for Council operations
- net zero emissions by 2035 for the Manningham community
We are now seeking your feedback on the draft actions which we are planning to meet our goal in achieving net zero emissions.
What can you do?
The draft plan outlines easy ways you can tackle climate change in your neighbourhood, including:
- Switching to solar
- Learning more by attending a climate education event
- Applying for a LEAF grant to preserve your natural values on your property
- Managing your waste and recycling
The introduction of a food and organic waste, which is scheduled for implementation in July 2023, is one major project we are implementing for our community which will contribute in us achieving net zero within the community.
What have we done?
We have rolled out many initiatives over recent years to reduce greenhouse gas emissions. These initiatives have included the introduction of:
- energy efficient LED streetlights,
- a low emission Electric Vehicle Council fleet,
- solar power, and
- green power purchasing and a wind-powered electricity supply through the Victorian Energy Collaboration (VECO).
What actions should we take first?