23 December 2020
In preparation for the 2020/21 bushfire season, we have designated three additional open space Neighbourhood Safer Places (NSPs) in bushfire prone areas of Manningham.
Neighbourhood Safer Places are designated areas that are a place of last resort for residents in a bushfire emergency. They can be indoor or outdoor spaces that have been specifically chosen in line with CFA requirements. NSPs may provide some protection from direct flame and radiant heat during a bushfire but they do not guarantee safety.
In the event of a bushfire, the safest option is to follow your Emergency Plan and leave early.
Our new outdoor Neighbourhood Safer Places are:
- Domeney Reserve Pavilion Verandah, 24-52 Knees Road, Park Orchards
- Dudley Reserve, Dudley Road, Wonga Park
- Warrandyte Reserve at the Skate Park and Basketball Courts, Taroona Avenue, Warrandyte
NSPs are specific designated areas at each of these locations. Please see below for maps of each site.
The three new open space NSPs join our existing four indoor NSPs for 2020/21 bushfire season:
- Wonga Park Primary School, 41 Dudley Road, Wonga Park
- Warrandyte Senior Citizens Club, 8 Taroona Ave, Warrandyte
- Domeney Recreation Centre, 24-52 Knees Road, Park Orchards
- Warrandyte Pavilion, Taroona Avenue, Warrandyte
Emergency Relief Centres (ERC)
Neighbourhood Safer Places (NSPs) are different from Emergency Relief Centres (ERCs). In the event of an emergency, Victoria Police may instruct Council to open an ERC situated away from the location of an emergency to provide basic services and support to affected individuals and families. An NSP does not have the same level of support or provisions or safety as an ERC.
Neighbourhood Safer Places - Domeney Reserve Pavilion
Neighbourhood Safer Places - Dudley Reserve, Dudley Road
Neighbourhood Safer Places - Warrandyte Reserve