Manningham Council is currently in the process of reviewing the Drainage Strategy 2004-2014 . The aim of this strategy is to improve the level of flood protection afforded to private properties and the community, improve the drainage system, improve sustainability and the quality of stormwater discharging into creeks, streams and rivers in and beyond Manningham.

Excessive stormwater run-off from urban catchments with large areas of impervious surfaces (for example, concrete, roads and roofs) contributes to pollution and degradation of our waterways.  Council \checks underground on-road and easement drainage systems for blockages. Any blockages reported by residents, ie. blockages caused by tree roots, are also cleared regularly.

The Icon for application/pdf Manningham City Council - Standard Drawings (6.99 MB) set out the required technical details for road pavement, kerb and channel, drainage pits, and associated infrastructure for Council assets within the City of Manningham. Proposed assets within the City are to comply with these standards.

Stormwater Connections

Point of Discharge

An application for a Point of Discharge must be made to Council when a building permit is required for a development which includes a stormwater drainage system.

The Point of Discharge will be used in the design of the drainage for the site. Stormwater discharge from any part of a roof, paved or impervious area will be required to be directed to the point of discharge for the property.

Approval for Connection to Council Drain

A Council permit is required, prior to connecting a drain on private property to a Council drain. Council drains include underground drains, which share a common boundary with roads or are located within easements on private property.

The permit holder is responsible for arranging the works and necessary traffic management, (if the work is within the road reserve) and restoring the land to its original condition to the satisfaction of Council’s representative.

The applicant must arrange an inspection by Council’s representative, at least 48 hours prior to the proposed inspection date.


Manningham Council has adopted the use of On-Site Stormwater Detention (OSD) systems to better manage stormwater runoff from higher density development.

Any developments within Manningham which may increase stormwater runoff are generally required to construct an OSD system.

OSD systems may be required as a condition on a planning permit and have the potential to minimise local flooding and decrease the peak flow rate to drains and waterways.
For more information:

For more information on designing an OSD system, view the Icon for application/pdf onsite stormwater detention guide (2.37 MB), call 9840 9333 or use our online service request form.

Building over Easements

Easements on private property exist to service drainage, sewerage etc on the land. Private construction over a Council easement requires approval and in some cases, Council may not give its approval.

People are encouraged to view Icon for application/pdf Application to Build Over an Easement (291.3 KB) before making an application.

Report and Consent of Council

The report and consent must be obtained to an application for a building permit if the site is on an allotment located in an area liable to flooding or construction of a building on ‘designated land or works’ : (Water Act 1989: flood prone land or land subject to uncontrolled overland drainage).

Please refer to the following attachment for an application form: Icon for application/pdf Application for Council Report and Consent (89.24 KB)