Manningham Council’s proposed 2018/19 budget and four year Strategic Resource Plan (SRP) will be open for public consultation between Friday 27 April and Thursday 24 May.
The budget and SRP details the major initiatives and resources needed over the coming financial year as well as a four year forecast.
Manningham Mayor, Cr Andrew Conlon, said that in developing the budget and SRP, Council was mindful of the ever increasing challenges facing the local government sector while ensuring Council’s longer term financial sustainability.
“In developing this proposed budget, we believe we have taken a balanced approach to providing relevant and cost effective services and infrastructure to our community while also remaining focussed on ensuring Council’s long term financial sustainability, especially following the State Government’s introduction of the rate cap.”
The proposed 2018/19 Annual Budget of $153 million (of which $89 million is derived from rates) includes $35 million for the capital works program and $118 million for service provision.
For 2018/19, the combined Council rates and waste charges for an average property in Manningham with a standard waste service is projected to increase by 4.2% or $81.40, representing a total rates and waste charges bill of $2,031.61 for the average property in Manningham. This is based on a 2.25% increase in the general rate and a 20% increase for the waste charge.
Key features include:
- in 2018/19 Council has allocated an additional $1.5 million to improve footpaths and $1.5 million to improve drainage assets. This is part of a $10.5 million, 4 year package to upgrade drains and footpaths
- bringing funding forward to complete priority projects earlier, including female friendly sports facilities upgrades, the Pettys Reserve Sporting Development, and the Ruffey Creek Linear Path
- improving service levels to manage and improve the city’s streetscapes, in particular street trees
- continuing to dedicate at least 33% of rate revenue to the capital works program
- ongoing efficiencies, a focus on developing new revenue sources and containing costs. Savings and efficiencies for the 2017/18 financial year are forecast to be around $2.1 million. This is in addition to $1.7 million already achieved in the 2016/17 financial year
- achieving these and other improvements in priority areas given the State Government’s rate cap of 2.25% (2% for 2017/18).
- Rate revenue is Councils’ largest source of funding which is used to maintain and upgrade local roads, streetlights, buildings, drains, bridges, footpaths, cycle trails, parks, playgrounds, libraries and sporting facilities. This revenue also provides services including waste management, public health as well as planning and building. It also funds the support of our children, youth, families, aged and vulnerable members of our community through maternal and child health, disability and aged care services.
Submissions to the proposed 2018/19 Budget and 2018-2022 Strategic Resource Plan can be made from 9.00am on Friday 27 April to 5.00pm on Thursday 24 May:
- online at www.yoursaymanningham.com.au/budget, or
- by mail to the Group Manager Financial Services, Manningham City Council, PO Box 1, Doncaster VIC 3108.
If you would like to present your proposal in person to Council, please remember to include that in your submission. All submissions will be reproduced in Council documents available to the public.
Copies of the documents can be viewed:
- Online at yoursaymanningham.com.au/budget
- The Customer Service Desk, Manningham Civic centre, 699 Doncaster Road, Doncaster
- The Administration building, Municipal depot, corner Heidelberg-Warrandyte and Blackburn roads, Doncaster East
- Public libraries in Manningham
Following the public consultation period, Council will hold a public meeting on Thursday 31 May to hear submissions. This will be followed by the 26 June Council meeting to consider adopting the Annual Budget.