Bulleen's name is derived from Bolin Bolin, a Wurundjeri Aboriginal name for a nearby billabong on the Yarra. The area was dominated by dairy farms until the 1930s and remained a rural district until the post war era with a lack of public transport and difficult river crossings delaying development.
Residential subdivision and development gained momentum by the 1950s and continued into the late-twentieth century. The former Glen Iris Brickworks on Templestowe Road was redeveloped for housing in the 1990s.
Today Bulleen is a well-established, vibrant residential area with a growing population.
Doncaster's name comes from John Robert Wilson, who opened the Doncaster Arms Inn in 1854 on his way to the Warrandyte gold diggings. The Inn was named after his hometown, Doncaster, England.
A number of settlements started along the Koonung Creek in the 1850s and the early settlers derived a living from timber but as time passed orcharding became the major local industry.
The Doncaster Shire was formed in 1890 and in 1915 the Doncaster and Templestowe Shire was formed.
The area gained a reputation as one of Victoria's best fruit producers and remained a thriving local industry until after WWII when the orchards were progressively subdivided for residential development through the 50s 60s and 70s.
Today, Doncaster is a well-established and highly sort after residential and commercial area, and over the coming decades we can expect to see Doncaster continue to grow with the development of the Doncaster Hill precinct, located around Westfield Doncaster.
The oldest residential areas of Doncaster East are those around Doncaster Road in the south of the suburb, first developed in the 1950s. Residential development in the northern part of the suburb continued through to the late 1980s.
Today, Doncaster East is an established and maturing residential area with a relatively stable population.
Development in Donvale / Nunawading commenced with the subdivision of areas south of Doncaster Road in the 1950s. The larger lot, lower density areas of the suburb, such as those east of Springvale Road, date from the 1970s and 1980s. The suburb's name is taken from a combination of Doncaster and the hilly nature (vales) of the area.
Today, Donvale / Nunawading is an established residential area including both conventional suburban lots and lower density areas. The population of Donvale / Nunawading is increasing, despite a decrease in average household size.
Park Orchards/Ringwood North
Development of the Park Orchards area started in 1925, when a portion of one of Tom Petty's orchards, known simply as 'the Park', was subdivided for a country club estate. The subdivision was designed by Saxil Tuxen, a protégé of Walter Burley Griffin, who was inspired by Griffin's Ranelagh Estate in Mount Eliza. The subdivision was initially unsuccessful; substantial housing development did not occur until the 1950s.
Today, Park Orchards and Ringwood North are established lower density residential areas characterised by large dwellings on large lots. The area's population continues to grow.
Templestowe was established as a village on the Yarra in the 1850s on the route to the Warrandyte gold fields and is one of the oldest areas of settlement in Manningham. The village remained a relatively small settlement well into the 20th Century, with the area outside the town remaining as orchards.
Substantial development of Templestowe began in the 1970s and 1980s. The name Templestowe comes from a mythical place in Sir Walter Scott's novel Ivanhoe, which is coincidentally just across the Yarra River.
The development of Lower Templestowe preceded that of greater Templestowe. The area is predominantly a post-war suburb, with substantial development occurring in the 1950s and 1960s.
Lower Templestowe today is a well-established residential area, with a relatively stable population.
Warrandyte is one of the original 'villages' of Manningham. Development started after gold was discovered in the area in 1851 which was the first gold discovery in Victoria.
Commercial gold mining was undertaken by a number of companies throughout the latter half of the 19th Century, though not with the success of the Ballarat and Bendigo diggings.
Until the 1970s and 1980s, Warrandyte remained a small township. Development commenced when large areas were released for low-density residential development. Warrandyte South is still a predominantly rural and rural residential area.
The name Warrandyte is thought to be a combination of the Wurundjeri Aboriginal words warran (to throw) and dyte (the object aimed at).
Located on the beautiful Yarra River, Warrandyte is a thriving residential area and tourist and arts destination and Warrandyte South remains a semi-rural area.
Wonga Park's name comes from the Wonga Park grazing property, which itself derives from Simon Wonga, elder of the Wurundjeri people.
The area was a mixture of orchards and grazing properties and timbered land and part of Mooroolbark until the late 1880s when the property came into the hands of an insurance company and, along with other holdings, the land was sold by the Wonga Park Land Co.
Four years later, when small settlements were a way of relieving unemployment after the failure of the land boom, about twenty members of an Eight Hours Pioneer Memorial Association took up small holdings on a former timber reserve.
In 1895 Warrandyte East Primary School opened, but later changed its name to Wonga Park in 1898.
Development of the township and surrounds was relatively slow until the 1980s and 1990s when a number of rural/residential subdivisions were released.
Today Wonga Park is an established small residential township and semi-rural area.